Sunday, September 7, 2014

Letter to Grandpa

Elder Ward's grandfather has the wonderful opportunity to travel to Washington D.C. for a WWII memorial event.  On the flight, the WWII Veterans will receive "mail call".  We, as his family were asked to write letters of appreciation for Grandpa and his service in and out of the war.  We asked Elder Ward to participate.  This is his letter to Grandpa.  Grandma and Grandpa served two missions as a senior couple.  Elder Ward is on a mission due, in part, to their wonderful example.  Here is his letter:


Dear Grandpa,

I wanted to thank you for all that you have done for me. As well as
all that you have done for the country. I am amazed with the things
that you have been able to do in your life. The stories of your
childhood, as well as when you served in the military. From what I
remember you where unable to serve a mission for the church, however I
do think that you have set a wonderful example for me and my family in
being a wonderful patriarch of the home. I have always looked up to
you and sought to follow your example in how you treat others with
charity.

I remember when I was young I always looked forwards to going to
Grandma and Grandpas house. I looked forwards to playing in the
backyard and seeing what Grandpa was doing with his garden. I was
spoiled with the attention I got as I ran around the home getting
chased, caught, and tickled half to death. Those are some of the best
memories that I hold on to and cherish throughout my life. It has been
a blessing to have such wonderful grand parents! Of course then there
is the candy cannon. What child is so privileged to have chance to
play/learn of course with such a wonderful creation? I loved spending
evenings together playing card games and building our love for one
another. Maybe sometimes we got a bit to competitive haha. I can never
thank my Father in Heaven enough for giving me a chance to grow up in
such a wonderful family.

Things have been good on my mission. I have learned so much about the
gospel. Especially as I teach to those that want to know of it and
apply it in there lives. The Book of Mormon has really blessed me on
my mission. I have been given an opportunity to learn it study it and
get familiar with it every day I am on my mission. It has been a
blessing. I am doing my best to use the time that I have been given
and come home with a knowledge that will continue to bless me in my
life as I continue to live the gospel and teach others about what I
know to be true. It has been nothing but eye opening for me, and
learning and getting know members of the church here in New Zealand
has been a privilege. Here in New Zealand I have met members form
India (I have met some that may have known you and Grandma. One is
named Johnson Dunna I will be getting more details for sure!), Tonga,
Samoa, Moari, as well as European decent. So many backgrounds, so many
different testimonies of the truth!

Thanks again Grandpa for all that you have done for me and my family.
For the wonderful example that you have set. I miss you and love you.

Your Grandson,
Elder Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment